Regional Youth Cabinet Interviews took place at Hillside Christian Church on March 31st. Interviews were conducted by a selection committee consisting of adults (clergy & laity) and youth from around the region who were selected according to RYC Bylaws.
The Regional Youth Cabinet for 2012-2013 will be comprised of the following individuals:
-Cheyenne Ely (Raymore CC)
-Billy Drake (Smithville CC)
-Ryan Dugan, Drake Johnston & Jon Atteberry (Saint Andrew CC)
-Jenna Engelken & Lauren Alvey (Family of Faith CC)
-Anna Godsey, Madison Upton & Bailey Cannon (Lee’s Summit CC)
-Caitlin Chen, Audrey Frye & Becca Reberry (Shawnee Park CC)
-Allyson Ng (North Oak CC)
-Adult Cabinet Members: Suzanne Kerr (Lee’s Summit CC), Meghann Murtaugh (Belton CC), Chuck Pickrel (Eastgate CC), Lara Blackwood Pickrel – Ex Officio (Hillside CC)
This concert, brought to our area by the Regional Youth Cabinet of the Christian Church (DOC) in Greater K.C., is a stop on the Beautiful Unusual Tour!
Youth in grades 9-12 are invited to join us for a trip to Lee’s Summit so that we can enjoy this concert. Here are all the details you need to join us on the 20th!:
- What is it? -A Christian concert
- Who is performing? -Three cool bands on the Beautiful Unusual Tour!: Attaboy, Jennie Wellsand, and Calling out Closer!
- Who can go? -Anyone in 9-12th grade! We do ask that adult sponsors come with their youth
- When is it? -Friday April 20th, 2012
- What time? -Doors open at 6:00 and the concert starts at 6:30
- Where is it? -Lee’s Summit Christian Church 800 NE Tudor Rd. Lee’s Summit, MO
- Cost?- Tickets are $10 (buy in advance from a Cabinet Youth, call LSCC 816-524-3616 to reserve tickets. Tickets will be available at the door–we would like an idea of #s)
- Who is putting this concert on? -The Kansas City Regional Youth Cabinet! for the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
- Anything else? -We have a RAFFLE! It includes AWESOME prizes such as: a camera, gift cards to some great places, a customized xbox controller valued at $120 and much, much more!
- Anything else, else? -There are concessions!
Lee’s Summit CC had Attaboy perform as a part of their 140th Anniversary Celebration & we are all extremely excited to have them return! They put on a very fun & uplifting show and are mission minded.
The Greater KC Regional Youth Cabinet is a group of high school youth and adults of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) of Greater Kansas City selected by the region to provide programs and opportunities for high school youth to grow in their faith in God and their understanding as a follower Jesus Christ. RYC members plan and lead all regional CYF events, including CYF Midwinter and the two CYF Conferences that take place during the summer.
In order to apply, you must be:
- a current sophomore or junior in high school
- active in your local church/youth group
- passionate about serving God and neighbor
- excited about camp and other regional youth events
- willing and able to commit to attending RYC meetings (one Sunday afternoon per month) and retreats (one weekend retreat in August and December), as well as all regional youth events.
A complete application includes:
- a completed application form (2012-2013 Cabinet Application – Revised)
- three letters of recommendation, as described in the application form
- a personal essay describing your faith journey, your reasons for applying to serve on the RYC, and the gifts you bring to the RYC
- All materials should be mailed to: Christian Church of Greater KC, 7600 W 75th Street, Suite 6, Overland Park, KS 66204-2853
APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETE AND POSTMARKED BY MARCH 5, 2012. LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION MUST BE POSTMARKED BY MARCH 12, 2012.
ALL APPLICANTS WITH COMPLETED APPLICATIONS WILL BE ASSIGNED AN INTERVIEW TIME FOR MARCH 31, 2012 – SO PLEASE SAVE THIS DATE!!
**If you have any questions, please contact Lara Blackwood Pickrel at 816-863-3692 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Children Welcome! From Stumbling Blocks to Building Blocks of Faith is happening in Kansas City, February 23-25, 2012. This conference is being jointly sponsored by The Presbyterian Church (USA) and The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
The cost is $130 for the two and ½ days, inclusive of an evening banquet and lunches.
This fifth Children Welcome! Conference will be an opportunity for personal and congregational renewal as together we explore how best to respond to the needs and gifts of children. The time will be filled with music, worship, the learning of new skills, theological discussions, Biblical reflections, networking and much, much more.
- Speakers for the event are Dr. Y. Dianna Wright, Rev. Dr. Rita Nakashima Brock and Rev. Shannon Daley-Harris.
- A wide array of books for sale through the Presbyterian Bookstore, addressing issues related to family and children’s ministries, including books authored by keynoters and discovery group leaders.
- An exhibit hall with information and resources from agencies connected to both denominations, as well as many ecumenical programs.
- Exciting learning opportunities for children, ages 3 through 5th grade.
- A unique display of Children’s art.
- Opportunities for outreach, including the making of comfort quilts for local distribution through Newborns in Need, a national non-profit organization that collects and distributes resources to families, hospitals and organizations caring for high-risk infants, http://www.newbornsinneed.com/. You are also invited to bring offerings of money and “newborn baby gifts” for Newborns in Need.
- Challenging keynotes and exciting discovery groups.
- Networking Opportunities.
***TO REGISTER FOR THIS EVENT, PLEASE CLICK HERE: https://www.discipleshomemissions.org/pages/sbbf_registration
CYF Midwinter (January 6-8 at Tall Oaks) forms are due very very soon! Registration is $75 if you register by December 31 and $90 after December 31. NO REGISTRATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER JANUARY 3RD!!!
If you need a registration form, click here: http://www.talloaks.org/camp/CYF%20M-W%202-2012.pdf
TODAY, NOVEMBER 3RD, IS “THANK A YOUTH WORKER DAY” Youth workers could always use more support – and today is a fine excuse to recognize the labor of love that is youth ministry. One way that you can celebrate the day is to take a moment to personally thank all of the people who have committed a part of their lives to working with and walking alongside young people in your congregation. Consider thanking people like:
Youth Sunday School Teachers
Other Volunteers: all of the parents and other adults who provide meals, transportation and support for the youth ministry that takes place at your church or in your region!